Recipe by Bonnie G #2
There's plenty of crab cake recipes here but I saw this one in a womans day magazine and the presentation is so cute I've got to save it. These are a such cute made in mini muffin tins and "frosted" with a lemony cream cheese. What a cute and yummy sounding idea for an appy table. In ingrediants I didn't know how to put 1/3 cup of mixed celery, onion & red pepper so it's listed with onion.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, and celery and red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces crabmeat, drained well
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temerature
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- To make cupcakes: Heat oven to 350, spray nonstick mini-muffin tins with cooking spray or lightly oil them.
- Muffin cups shoud be 1 34 to 2 inches in diameter. Set aside.
- In large saute pan or skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the onion, celery and bell pepper for about 3-4 minutes, until just starting to get tender. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour sugar baking powder and Old Bay seasoning.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, milk and sour cream.
- When the sweated vegatables are cool, add cornmeal mixture to the egg mixture; mix lightly.
- Stir in vegatables and all melted butter from the pan, do not overmix.
- Fold in crabmeat just until evenly distributed.
- Spoon heaping tablespoon batter into each muffin cup.
- You should fill 20 cups.
- Bake cupcakes for 12-14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean (rotate the pans after the first 7-8 minutees of baking).
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove them from pan and let cool briefly on wire rack before frosting.
- Refrigeration is imperative, as the crab will go bad if left at room temp for an extended period of time.
- Bring to room temp or warm for a minute or so in oven before frosting.
- To make frosting:
- In small bowl mash cream cheese with a fork, then whisk in milk and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
- Top each cupcake with 1 teaspoon of frosting, then sprinkle with about 1/4 teaspoon chives for garnish.