Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I picked up a second hand book called Portuguese Cookery by Ursula Bourne, and want to post recipes that I have adapted so that I can make them soonest. If you make this before I do I would very much appreciate your feedback.
- 1 lb shelled fava beans (broad beans, 450g)
- 1 pint chicken stock (2 cups)
- olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup crouton
- Skin the fava beans (broad beans) and cook them in the chicken stock until they are soft and cooked though.
- Blend, sieve or liquidize, the cooked mixture adding as little olive oil as possible to get a smooth consistency. Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve topped with croutons.
This makes a VERY thick, creamy soup. My dried fava beans cooked up so fast, they turned to mush and I didn't even need to blend it!! Not using chicken broth, I added a couple cloves of crushed garlic, veggie broth powder, some paprika and about 1/4 tsp of salt. Not overly exciting, but a good soup all the same. I'd like to try it with roasted garlic and maybe some other traditional Portuguese seasonings. Thanks for posting! Update: I want to add this is VERY good with garlic croutons!