Creme Anglaise is a classic dessert sauce, and will "class up" just about any dessert. It is not hard to make if you pay attention to it, and the rewards are worth it. You can serve this with the chocolate chiffon cake I posted, or with the Apple Charlottes or with just about anything.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk together the yolks, sugar and salt until creamy.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Put the milk in a heavy bottomed pot.
- 4Cut the vanilla bean in half and add to the milk.
- 5Scald the milk.
- 6Take a wet towel and make it into a ring on your worksurface.
- 7Take a pan that your bowl will fit into and put 2 inches of water in the bottom and put it on the stove to heat to a boil.
- 8Place the bowl with the yolks in the ring you made with the towel- this will hold the bowl in place while you whisk in the milk.
- 9Slowly, slowly, ladle a little of the hot milk into the yolks, whisking constantly.
- 10Add a little at a time, continuing to whisk the yolks.
- 11As more and more of the milk is added, you can add more at a time.
- 12This is"tempering" the yolks, or bringing them to the same temperature as the cream.
- 13Do this to prevent the yolks from scrambling.
- 14If your yolks scramble- start over.
- 15So, slow and steady with the milk.
- 16Once all of the milk is added, put the bowl on top of the pan with the boiling water and stir with a wooden spoon constantly until the custard starts to thicken and coats the back of the spoon.
- 17DO NOT let it boil!
- 18Take the custard off the heat immediately and cool in an ice bath.
- 19Strain through a fine mesh strainer and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 20It will keep for about a week in the refrigerator.
- 21Variations: Chocolate Creme Anglais- mix 1/4 cup warm chocolate sauce into the cooled sauce.
- 22Cinnamon Creme Anglais- add 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/2 stick of cinnamon to the milk before scalding.
- 23Rum Creme Anglais- add 1 1/2 teaspoons dark rum to the cooled sauce.
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creme Anglaise
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.6
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 736.2 mg
- Sodium 265.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 17.6 g