Chef #989720's Note:
Taken from Cooking Light. Vegan recipe if you use vegetable stock instead of chicken. Parsley, tarragon, and chives are tossed with a light dressing and floated atop the soup on crostini. Pureeing the soup gives it body. Use extra caution when blending hot ingredients by holding a towel over the blender lid.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 5 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 French baguette (about 4 ounces)
- cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 3/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and minced garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add zucchini, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until zucchini is very tender. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 2Place half of the zucchini mixture in a blender; cover tightly, and process until smooth. Pour pureed zucchini mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining zucchini mixture. Place pureed zucchini mixture in pan. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Keep warm.
- 3Preheat oven to 400°.
- 4Place bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Coat bread with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until toasted. Rub bread with cut sides of garlic clove.
- 5Place parsley, tarragon, and chives in a small bowl. Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Pour over parsley mixture; toss well.
- 6Spoon 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls. Divide parsley mixture evenly over toasted bread slices. Top each serving with 2 bread slices. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Zucchini Soup With Mixed Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.8
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 545.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
fresh tarragon leaves