Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from "Eating Well" magazine, February/March 2006. This is an excellent variation to regular tomato soup. Delicious!
Top Review by LUVMY2BOYS
I made this for my husband, as written (which is rare for me!) because he wanted a recipe that was similar to one he had in San Francisco. He really enjoyed this! I used 1/2 tsp seasoning salt, dried cilantro & baked tortilla chips. He thought it was delicious as written but asked me to consider only using one can of tomatoes next time so that he could taste the bean flavor more. I used white northern beans since that's all my market had. He loved the texture of it from the pureeing! It was also super simple to make; a huge plus of course! Thank u for sharing!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, do not drain
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, do not drain
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt or 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 cups tortilla chips or 2 cups corn tortilla strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans and tomatoes in a blender and puree until creamy.
- Pour into a medium saucepan, add sea salt and milk.
- Increase heat to medium, stirring frequently and bring to an almost boil.
- Reduce the flame to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish each bowl with parsley or cilantro, and tortilla chips or strips.