Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Got this from "Taste of Home" 2005 Best Holiday Recipes collection. Remarkably easy to make (I usually halve the recipe) with a minimum of ingredients, it cooked up creamy and delicious. Definitely a keeper! Serve in breadbowls for extra special presentation.
- 8 -10 medium red potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 lbs smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (both work fine) or 1⁄3 cup olive oil (both work fine)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Place potatoes in a 5 qt roasting pan.
- Add onions, peppers and sausage; toss gently.
- Combine oil, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over meat and vegetables; toss well.
- Cover and bake at 350* for 45 minutes; stir.
- Add the cream; cover and bake 30-40 minutes longer (or until potatoes are tender).
- Combine cornstarch and water; stir into stew.
- Place on stovetop and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.