Recipe by Betty K. Rocker
When I came up with this recipe it was to serve 75 people! So, this is the scaled down version. You can ajdust the thickness by modifying the amount of cornstarch that you use.
Top Review by rickoholic83
Great soup! I cut the recipe in half and subbed the pepper with Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Extra Spicy Seasoning. Served with bread and a side salad. Thanks for sharing! ***Made for Fall PAC 2012***
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled, diced (1 inch)
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced (1/4-1/2 inch)
- 1 lb bacon, sliced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 -4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chicken soup base
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 -2 pint heavy cream
- cornstarch, slurry (2 parts starch/1 part water)
- chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop potatoes; rinse and set aside to drain.
- Chop bacon slices into julienne strips; fry in a large stock pot until slightly crisp.
- Remove half of the cooked bacon bits and set aside.
- Add chopped onions and celery to remaining bacon bits and fat, cooking slowly until veggies are tender (10-20 minutes).
- Stir in potatoes and cover with water. Add more water based on thickness desired.
- Add seasoning salt, pepper, soup base and bay leaves.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Slowly add slurry 1 Tablespoon at a time to thicken to taste.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Lower temperature; add cream based on taste preferences.
- Heat soup through and immediately remove from heat.
- Serve topped with remaining bacon bits and chives.