Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this in a book called Recipes for a Yummy Tummy....it's really simple and very tasty. I like to add a few chilli flakes to the mix for a little extra heat.
- 350 g lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 125 g mixed beans, drained
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 red chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup polenta
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 375 ml evaporated milk (light and creamy)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese (low fat)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Brown the beef with the oil and garlic.
- Add the next six ingredients, stir until the mixture boils, then simmer for 15 minutes. Spoon the mixture into four 1 cup ( 250ml) ovenproof bowls ( or one large one!).
- Combine the polenta with the boiling water in a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients, beat to combine and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture evenly over the beef and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and set.
This is a nice little "chili" recipe. We have never eaten polenta, and I couldn't find it in my local market (even with assistance) so it was an interesting experience. I ended up making my own polenta using Soft Oven Polenta, which seemed to work just fine. I just cooked that as directed and omitted the boiling water and continued with adding the evaporated milk and cheddar cheese. Next time I would leave out the cinnamon and add a Spanish onion, just to suit our tastes. Thank you for a nice casserole and a new taste experience Noo! Made for PRMR.
Great casserole - love the polenta topping. A great lunch or dinner idea and all you need is a salad to go with it. Will definitely keep this recipe handy : ) Made for PRMR, February, 2014.
I simply loved this. The polenta topping is genius and it tastes wonderful when mixed into the casserole below. This easy recipe delivers a lot of great flavor and I will make it again.