Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Really you can add in anything you want to this, but I prefer sausage meat, frozen peas are also good to add in. Make certain to put a cookie sheet under the baking dish in case of spills, the casserole dish will be very full, or you can bake it in a larger casserole dish. This is delicious even made without the sausage meat added in, but for a main meal I suggest to add in the cooked sausage. You will love this!
- 6 -7 Italian sausages, casings removed
- 4 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (600 g) package cheddar cheese, grated (use old or extra old, reserve 1 cup for the top of the casserole, I use a 600 gram package Black Dia)
- 1 cup Cheese Whiz, cheese spread
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings and brown in a skillet; set aside.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water (do not cook completely, cook only until VERY firm-tender, as the pasta will cook further in the oven) drain, but DO NOT rinse.
- Place the drained macaroni back in the pot and add in the cooked sausage meat, mix to combine with a wooden spoon; set aside while preparing the cheese sauce.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt the butter or margarine.
- Add in flour, black pepper and garlic powder; whisk for 5 minutes or until thick.
- Slowly add in the milk and whipping cream; whisk continuously for about 6-8 minutes until bubbly and thickened.
- Turn off the heat and add in grated cheddar cheese, Cheese Whiz and Parmeasn cheese; stir with a wooden spoon until all the cheeses have melted and the mixture is smooth (this should take about 3 minutes).
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta/sausage meat mixture; stir well with a wooden spoon.
- At this point season with salt if desired.
- Transfer the mixture into a buttered 13 x 9-inch baking dish or a larger casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, then sprinkle with 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Set oven to 350 degree.
- If you are baking it in a 13x9-inch baking dish it will be very full, so place the casserole onto a cookie sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Let sit for 15 minutes or longer before serving.