Recipe by AZbamalama
Grits are a great substitute for potatoes, pasta, or rice. This particular recipe is wonderful served under grilled shrimp.
- 1 cup instant grits
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 roasted jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter with olive oil in medium pot.
- Add onions, garlic, and chopped jalapenos. Saute until onions are softened.
- Add chicken broth and milk; bring to a boil.
- Add grits, lower heat and stir constantly with a whisk for three to five minutes until cooked.
- Add Velveeta and pepper jack cheese. Cook until cheese is melted and well blended.
- If grits are too thick, add a little milk to loosen them up.
- Serve immediately.