Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Yet another version of the old Tunnel of Fudge cake. This one uses cake mix, brewed coffee and cream cheese in the filling.
- 1 1⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup cold, brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Generously grease and lightly flour one 10-inch tube or bundt pan, tapping out excess.
- In small saucepan, melt 1-1/4 cups chocolate chips.
- With mixer, combine cream cheese, sugar, 3 tablespoons cream or milk, and melted chocolate.
- Beat until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Combine cake mix, coffee, oil, and eggs, and beat 4 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Mound cream cheese mixture around tube, but do not spread to touch sides of pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55-65 minutes until top springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- Cool upright in pan one hour before inverting.
- To make glaze: heat 1/2 cup cream in small saucepan over medium heat until just bubbling around edges.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips until melted and smooth.
- Simmer one minute to thicken slightly.
- Pour warm glaze over inverted cake, letting it flow down the sides.
- Cool completely.
- Glaze will set as it cools.
- Store cake in refrigerator.
Terrific recipe, Claire! My family are all chocolate fanatics and we really enjoyed this. My daughter refers to it as the "Creamy Tunnel of Chocolate Cheesecake Cake." The addition of cream cheese to the filling really makes the cake, and the nuts add a pleasant bit of crunch. Next time, I think I will add a few chocolate chips to the cake batter - you can never have too much chocolate! Thanks! We will make this again and again!
Turned out really good. Got rave reviews from family. Very rich cake. Grandmother in law said my cake is a bit more rich than the old style she's had in the past. I guess with the version she had, the chocolate in the center was not as dense and a bit more light and fluffy. That said, she still loved it.
This cake is a chocolate lovers dream. It's easy to make & makes a nice presentation. Rich & sinful..... yummy!!