Classic Tunnel of Fudge Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Measure 3/4 cup of the frosting mix for the chocolate glaze.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the remaining frosting mix and flour, mixing just until incorporated.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes.
- The top of the cake will form a brownie like crust before it is done.
- Allow to cool for 60 minutes in the pan, then cool completely on a wire rack before glazing.
- To make the chocolate glaze; Mix together reserved 3/4 cup frosting mix and 2 tablespoons boiling water, stirring until smooth.
- Thin with additional boiling water if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Spoon glaze over the cooled cake.
I made this using Pillsbury's updated recipe, since Jiffy has now discontinued their dry frosting mixes. First time in 40 years, and it turned out perfect! Saw another recipe, substituting Fudge brownie mix. Lady said it worked, but I haven't tried it yet. I will at some point. Mixing dry ingredients in by hand is extremely difficult for me. Has anyone tried using the Stir speed on a Kitchen Aid mixer?
Yooper, I have my mom's "Rich 'n Easy Tunnel of Fudge Cake" recipe from the 70's on my desk as I type. I knew they discontinued the Pillsbury frosting mix, but didn't know that there was the Jiffy frosting substitute! This cake brings back so many memories for me, as a child, in my mom's kitchen. I LOVED this cake! It was so rich and fudgey and great served warm. Thanks for posting this recipe. I can make it now for my kids!
Hi yooper, what a find! We used to make this almost every week - we would hide it from our families so that there would be enough for company! This was the rage! We made it for every holiday, birthday, any event that we could bake it for. It was very gooey, and so chocolatey, and didn't even taste as it had anything pre-mixed in it. Great! Thanks for posting, Diane :=)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
What can I say about myself that hasn't already been mentioned in the police reports? Just kidding! I'm a single guy who loves to cook! Good thing, or I'd starve or go broke eating out! I love to read, horror and mysteries are my favorite. Love music, (except rap) and I'm a huge Green Bay Packer Fan!