Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
Creamy curry sauce with chicken breast pieces. A rich dish, often served at weddings or special occasions. If you decide to give the recipe a try, I hope you will enjoy it just as much as my family, friends and co workers! they wish I could make it more often. So here's the recipe!
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half (cubed)
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder (depends on how spicy you want it, add more or less)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh heavy cream
- 1 bunch of chopped coriander leaves (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- For the chicken marinade, mix all ingredients together, add in chicken and let marinade for few minutes. Then put chicken pieces on a baking tray covered with foil, set oven to 375°F and cook for 30 minutes or till the chicken is cooked.
- In large sauce pan on medium heat, add olive oil and onions, fry the onions till they become translucent.
- Then add garlic, ginger cook for a few minutes (stirring constantly).
- Add tomato paste, turmeric, garam masala, chili powder, stirring, you will notice the sauce is getting dry/thick and starting to stick to the pan, add ¼ cup of water (stirring).
- Remove the pan from the heat and put the sauce into the blender, add enough water to mixture so it’ll move in the blender ( ¼ cup water), blend sauce on medium to high till it turns to a smooth consistency or until the chunks of onion or no longer visible.
- Then return the sauce to a deep size pot on medium heat, add about ½ cup of water and bay leaf. Stirring.
- Once you see the sauce bubbling, turn the heat on low and then slowly add the heavy cream, stirring, you will notice the sauce thickening and turn a creamy color.
- Add salt, pepper and butter. Stirring. Taste the sauce if more salt is needed, depending on if you used salted or unsalted butter.
- Lastly, add the cooked chicken breast from the oven to the sauce and garnish with Coriander. And Voila! You have Creamy Curry Chicken!
- To Serve, you can serve with side of Basmati rice, Nan bread or Raita. For lighter sides, there’s whole wheat flat tortilla or brown rice. Enjoy!
- For low fat recipe, you can substitute the heavy cream with half/half cream or with yogurt and omit the butter. Mind you the flavor would be slightly different or just lighter.
wow this was so a wonderful meal. i had trouble finding garam masala and eventually found it at whole foods market. i doubled the recipe and should have gone easier with the chili powder but the family still loved it. I had some plain greek yogurt on the side to cut some of the heat. thanks again I will make this again.