Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Yummy!! Free up your oven and cook this classic dish in your crock pot! I made this is my taller older, 4 qt. crock pot rather than my new larger oval shaped one that tends to run hot. This could also be baked in the oven if necessary.
- 453.59 g macaroni
- 59.16 ml butter
- 591.47 ml shredded cheddar cheese (I use combination of freshly shredded medium cheddar and extra sharp cheddar)
- 297.66 g cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 340.19 g evaporated milk
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten (optional)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 1.23 ml mustard powder (optional)
- Cook macaroni 4-6 minutes, keeping macaroni very al dente. Drain. Toss hot pasta with butter.
- In a greased crock pot, add cheese, soup, milk, sour cream, eggs, salt, pepper and mustard powder. Mix to combine.
- Add pasta to crock pot. Stir to combine well.
- Cook on low 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. (Careful because when I cooked mine 30 min too long, it started to become grainy!).
I made it and they all loved it. Give it a try!
First time I made Mac and Cheese in a crock pot. I don't like the canned cheddar flavor so I used velveta and an extra can of condensed milk instead. Nice creamy recipe although I am curious how it cooks if you don't stir it bc that is kind of the point of a crockpot meal - throw it in and leave it alone. That is the only reason I am giving this delicious repicpe a midle rating... not exactly a recipe I would consider a crockpot meal due to stirring every 30 minutes.
I made this for a work tailgating party and it was a big hit. I omitted the eggs and dry mustard. I would have also added some whole milk or nixed the evaporated milk altogether and added whole milk to make it creamier. It was very good, I will probably make it again and make some adjustments. It seems like I had to adjust the cooking time a little bit.