I don't remember where I got this recipe, but it is on of my favorites. As a working mom, I love to come home to a meal ready in the crock pot. Add a salad or some sandwiches on sourdough bread, and you've got a wonderful winter meal. Don't forget to take some to work for lunch tomorrow!
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups approx water (enough to cover, see step 1 below)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- In slow cooker place the potatoes, onions, ham, celery, corn, butter or margarine and salt and pepper. Add water to cover and add two bouillon cubes.
- Cook on low setting for 8 - 9 hours. Stir in the evaporated milk, and continue to cook for 30 more minutes.
This recipe is great.Easy to prepare and worth the time.I'll add more celery next time and maybe some carrots.
Found this to be a little bland and not very chowder-like. I think it needs some cheese, maybe some kind of seasoning.
Great dish for a cold afternoon! I used sweet potatoes instead of white ones, used hominy for the corn, low-fat & low-sodium chicken broth for the bouillon cubes, and evaporated skim milk. . . but other than that, I stayed with the recipe! :D I posted a couple of pictures.