Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A great way to use up at that leftover chicken or turkey. We always have some leftover chicken after grilling and love to find new ways to make supper. I looked at Food.com and Bisquick.com for some ideas but in the end ended up taking 5 different recipes and making our own to taste. This is one of those hearty stick with you suppers. Serve with a great salad and bread (if you don't make it into a pot pie). We have also made this with different kinds of rice (wild, brown, and white). All very tasty! Enjoy!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken stock (or 2 Chicken bullion cubes in 2 c. warm water)
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed (your choice of white or dark)
- 2 cups cooked rice (your choice of wild, brown, or white-I also add a Tbsp of granulated garlic to the water I cook the )
- 1 lb mixed frozen vegetables (ie. peas, corn, carrots, green beans etc)
Optional add on items
- 2 cups shredded cheddar monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a 5 qt pot:
- 1) Cook chopped onions and celery in the butter for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- 2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3) Add both cans of soup, chicken stock,sage, and thyme to pot and mix thoroughly, turn heat down to med-low.
- 4) Add Chicken, Rice, and Veggies mix thoroughly and heat to a simmer.
- 5) Using a 9x13 pan (we use glass) (lightly spray if using metal) pour heated filling into pan.
- 6)Bake covered for 30-40 minutes or until bubbling.
- 7) Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes until serving.
- **Optional Cheese or Pot Pie Topping**.
- At step 6 , uncover sprinkle with cheese and return to oven until cheese melts. Continue with step 7 and Enjoy!
- For Pot Pie Crust.
- After step 4, while filling is warming to a simmer mix the Bisquick, Milk, Sage and Thyme. After pouring the hot filling into your pan spread the top with your Bisquick mixture. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes uncovered or until Bisquick crust has risen and lightly browned. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 min before serving.
- ***Cooks Note***.
- Play with the recipe and make it your own. If you and yours like garlic (like we do!) add some to the filling mix and the Bisquick crust mix to your liking. We have also added onion powder, red pepper flakes if you like some heat, mixed the cheese in and still used the Bisquick crust. Really your imagination is your limitation. :o) If you don't have time for baking you could serve this right out of your 5 qt pan once heated through and the frozen veggies hot. We have done this too on those busy, got to get there nights.
- Wishing you and yours a hearty enjoyable meal!
- *** All ovens cook differently, the times given are a good rule of thumb but make sure you check periodically while baking to see what time frame works in your oven).