Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am always looking for new ways to cook pasta that is easy and affordable. I try to avoid the canned premade soups when at all possible so I came up with this rather easy creamy sauce to change up the standard tomato sauce. The kids and hubby loved it. You can add anything you and your family likes and play around with the topping (I think a crunchy topping would taste good here too.) For the chicken I just roasted a few breast in the oven but you can use any left over or precooked you have. Also keep in mind the brand of Italian seasoning will have a different herb blend so be sure to use one you like.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened and cut into smeller pieces
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked just short of al dente (can use any pasta)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray your 13x9 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and red pepper flakes, and salt; cook until softened. Toss in the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and allow gently boiling (or vigorously simmering) for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers mix the Mozzarella and Parmesan together in a bowl. Also a good time to cook your pasta.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the cream cheese and evaporated milk. Stir until combined well.
- Slowly add half of the Mozzarella and Parmesan mixture while stirring (save the other half for the top.) Continue stirring or whisking until the cheese is melted in and combined. Taste to check for seasoning and add in salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Add the chicken and pasta to the sauce and toss (or stir) to coat completely with the sauce. Pour the entire mixture into the prepare casserole dish. Use a spoon to flatten it down into the dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Place the casserole into the preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- After the cook time allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before servining.