Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wonderful variation on the lasagna theme. Light white sauce and a great taste. I have had this recipe for years, but I think I found it "First" magazine. This can be use for OAMC as well. I use no-cook lasagna noodles to simplify process.
- 3⁄4 lb lasagna noodle
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- Cook chicken breasts and cut into small cubes (less than 1/2 inch).
- Cook noodles in boiling water until almost done.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Lay flat on baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap while you make sauce.
- Drain tomatoes.
- Squeeze out excess juice and cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Cook onion and celery in butter in large pan for about 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour and stir over low heat for another minute.
- Stir in dried herbs and chicken.
- Slowly add stock and milk or cream.
- Boil for about 1 minute.
- Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Spoon enough sauce to cover the bottom of a 10x12-inch baking pan.
- Use 1/3 of noodles per layer and 1/2 of chicken mixture and 1/3 of mozzarella cheese per layer.
- From bottom, layer noodles, chicken mixture, mozzarella.
- Repeat with noodles, chicken and mozzarella.
- Top with final noodle layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375° until bubbling (about 40 minutes).
- Uncover and brown under broiler for about 5 minutes to brown top slightly.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Exceptionally good. Chicken lasagna with a white sauce--lovely and easy to make.
My family loved this twist on lasagne.I usually cant please everybody at the same meal,but i got the thumbs up with this.Not a single leftover.Next time I'll make two batches.Be patient it takes a little time to make, but well worth the effort.
This was really good. A little time consuming but it was worth it. I used a little more cheese than it called for just because we like it real cheesy. It was a very nice change from the "red" lasagna!