Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This rich make ahead casserole is topped with a crunchy, cheesy topping that is kind of like dumplings, but with more texture. Alfredo sauce, frozen vegetables, and rotisserie chicken make it easy. Substitue Havarti cheese for the Cheddar Cheese.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 (16 ounce) jar four cheese alfredo sauce
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- In heavy saucepan, cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Add flour; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon thyme leaves and milk; cook and stir until thick.
- Remove from heat and add Alfredo sauce, chicken, 1-1/4 cups Cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and the frozen vegetables; stir gently. Place in 2-1/2 quart casserole. Cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours.
- When ready to eat, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place casserole, covered, in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until warm. Meanwhile, in small bowl combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, baking powder, 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg and mix with a fork until crumbly.
- Uncover casserole and crumble this topping evenly over the top. Bake for 20-30 minutes longer, until filling bubbles and the topping is golden brown and crisp.
- You can also bake the casserole right away. After you place the chicken mixture in the casserole dish, top with the crumbly mixture and bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 25-35 minutes until bubbly and brown.