Recipe I got several years ago from Quick Cooking. One of my DH favorite dishes. He loves anything with chicken, cheese and rice! Very flavorful comfort food for those cold winter days.
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -5 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups crushed Ritz crackers
- Spread rice into a greased 13x9x2 inches dish, set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, boullion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; add velvetta, chicken and sour cream.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour over rice.
- Melt remaining butter.
- Toss with crackers.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Baked uncovered at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Lovely recipe that my whole family enjoys. Not the fastest to put together but a lot of the work can be done in advance and this is a great way to use leftovers hanging around in the fridge. I've made one change. I add a layer of chopped fresh broccoli over the rice before I pour on the cheesy chicken mix. The 10-15 mins in the oven is plenty to soften it up a bit, but it isn't soggy or limp by any means. Hubby likes to add tabasco to his serving.
Overall, I liked this recipe. I used less butter overall - about half - and slightly less velveeta (about 8 ounces) - I had some leftover roasted chicken - I used a 9x13 and layered my rice, the chicken (I sprinkled it with garlic, salt, pepper, paprika) and then the cheese sauce over all of this. I used a combo of ritz/club crackers as that is what I had on hand (and probably only about a cup). It was really good!! I liked it. It would be excellent with broccoli in it as well!!
Made half a recipe, used sharp cheddar rather than the Velveeta. So good. I added broccoli and cooked it for 18 min. as I made it ahead of time.