Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I love caramelized onions. I love cream soups. Why not combine the two? As a side note, caramelizing the onions takes a while. You don't want to burn them, you want to caramelize them. Be patient! :]
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large parsnip, chopped
- 4 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 3 red potatoes, chopped
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Stir continuously until onions are caramelized (brown, but not burned), about 30 minutes or more.
- Whisk in flour, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add milk or half-and-half, whisk until smooth.
- Add balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and broth. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add vegetables, mix thoroughly, and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Turn off heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Puree soup in batches until at least half of the soup is blended. Mix thoroughly.
- Cook over medium heat until hot.