Recipe by TXHomemaker
Satisfy your craving for something different tonight. It's good and fairly easy. This is stuff I usually have on hand too.
Top Review by Michele O'Sullivan
Absolutely delicious. This is how I prepared this recipe: I greased a 9X13 baking dish with Crisco. I used 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef instead of 1 lb. Since this is a layered recipe (you will be making two layers), the extra 1/2 lb. worked great. I added a can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies (undrained) into the cooked beef mixture and I used cream of chicken instead of mushroom. I made my own taco seasoning (recipe 25449 from this site is terrific). I always double the taco seasoning recipe even for just 1 lb. of ground beef but you can experiment and decide what is best for your family. I am convinced that when it comes to packaged taco seasonings, your recipe will only be as good as the brand of seasonings you choose because some of them are so strong (not heat) that the flavor is overpowering and that can be all you taste. This includes those layered taco dips too. I followed the recipe exactly regarding the remaining ingredients. I thought the ground beef mixture with the onions, seasoning and refried beans was too thick so I added some water to the skillet and stirred it around till it was the right consistency. Give this recipe a try, it is delicious. I served this with spanish rice, warm tortilla chips, sour cream etc... Enjoy!!
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 -3 cups shredded taco cheese or 2 -3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 ounces sour cream
- jarred hot sauce, if desired to spice it up
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground meat/turkey & onion; drain.
- Add taco seasoning and stir in refried beans.
- Mix soup and sour cream in a separate bowl.
- Spread 1/2 sour cream mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Tear up 3 tortillas and spread over sour cream mixture.
- Put 1/2 the meat bean mixture over that.
- Add a layer of cheese.
- You could put some hot sauce on this now.
- Repeat the layers.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 20-30 minutes.