Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is really good. I didn’t blend it, so it had a slightly different consistency, but it was still yummy! Be generous with the black pepper.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb broccoli, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion in oil until golden.
- Add the stock, broccoli, beans bay leaf and allspice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Puree all or part of the soup before serving.
I like this soup, but feel it needs something more. I added garlic with the onion & lots of salt & pepper to our bowls, but it still needs *something* we just can't put our finger on it. Bev's pic of the soup looked very thick (like mashed avocado :) ) so Matt added another 3/4 - 1 cup of stock. I'll make it again, but play with it a bit; maybe add a carrot or 2.
This is a wonderful broccoli soup! I used a 1 lb 13 oz can of butter beans and otherwise followed dicentra's directions to the letter, using my immersion blender to cream the soup. All this simple recipe needs is a little salt and pepper! Thank you, dicentra : )