Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup With Blue Cheese
photo by Autumneyes
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced small
- 1 bunch broccoli, stems removed and broken into flowerets
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into flowerets
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese (or American) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter; add shallots and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk briskly to form a roux. Slowly stir in broth.
- Add potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and spices. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all veggies are very tender.
- Using an immersion blender/blender/food processor, puree to desired consistency.
- Return to pot over med-low heat and stir in cheeses and milk. Stir often until cheese is melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have not made something like this before. The flavors are really very good. I used gorgonzola instead of bleu cheese, and added another 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese. I was skeptical as I was cooking it, and also while first tasting it, but it is growing on me! Thanks for taking me out of my comfort zone.
Made this for dinner last night, and I thought it was delicious. I'm the only one in the house who eats cauliflower, so I guess mine is the only opinion that counts. ;-) I made changes based on what I had, as shopping day is today, rather than yesterday. I used dried onion added to the roux, rather than shallots. I also left out the potato and the milk to cut back on carbs, and I really think this soup was great without the added milk. My soup was quite a bit greener than the photo, almost the color of split pea, so I thought I might have messed it up, but it tastes great, and that's what counts. I didn't have American, so I broke up a couple of Baby Bel cheddar mini's along with the Gorgonzola. Buzzed it almost smooth with the immersion blender before adding cheese and it was great. Had a creamy texture even without the cream. Thanks for sharing. This makes a ton, by the way, so I think I'd call it more than 8 servings. I had two bowls for dinner, and barely made a dent.
I used 6 T of chunky blue cheese dressing, instead of the crumbled blue cheese and 1/2 c medium cheddar. I thought the recipe was really good. But thought it was even tastier, when I added some garlic powder and smoked paprika. I also removed about 4 cups of the soup and pureed it, then returned it to the remaining soup in the pot, so It had a little more texture.