Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Narshmellow
Following the directions and ingredients I had to start adding to this recipe. It tastes like bland broccoli puree (not soup, it's too thick with that much broccoli to be a soup). I had to double the cheese and keep adding more and more salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne along with a little dry mustard to try and help the cheese flavor. It was edible, but it wasn't soup, it was like a puree mash with a little broth that seeped out of the broccoli once in a while. Only one person out of four thought it was good, the rest of us agreed to look for a different recipe.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli (stalks peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices, florets chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (plus extra for garnish)
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a big pot over medium heat.
- Add in onion; cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli stalks and cook until bright green and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth; increase heat to med-high and simmer until the stalks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the florets, cream, and nutmeg; simmer until the florets are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in two batches in a blender until smooth; return to the pot, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and season with salt and cayenne.
- Serve, garnished with extra cheese (the soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days; reheat over medium heat until hot, but do not boil or the cheese will separate).