1/1 Photo of Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
1 hr 5 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli (stalks peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices, florets chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (plus extra for garnish)
- cayenne pepper
- 1Melt the butter in a big pot over medium heat.
- 2Add in onion; cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4Add the broccoli stalks and cook until bright green and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the broth; increase heat to med-high and simmer until the stalks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the florets, cream, and nutmeg; simmer until the florets are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 7Puree the soup in two batches in a blender until smooth; return to the pot, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 8Stir in the cheese until melted and season with salt and cayenne.
- 9Serve, garnished with extra cheese (the soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days; reheat over medium heat until hot, but do not boil or the cheese will separate).
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.0
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 128.9 mg
- Sodium 903.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 21.7 g