Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli (stalks peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices, florets chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (plus extra for garnish)
- cayenne pepper
- Melt the butter in a big pot over medium heat.
- Add in onion; cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli stalks and cook until bright green and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth; increase heat to med-high and simmer until the stalks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the florets, cream, and nutmeg; simmer until the florets are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in two batches in a blender until smooth; return to the pot, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and season with salt and cayenne.
- Serve, garnished with extra cheese (the soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days; reheat over medium heat until hot, but do not boil or the cheese will separate).
Following the directions and ingredients I had to start adding to this recipe. It tastes like bland broccoli puree (not soup, it's too thick with that much broccoli to be a soup). I had to double the cheese and keep adding more and more salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne along with a little dry mustard to try and help the cheese flavor. It was edible, but it wasn't soup, it was like a puree mash with a little broth that seeped out of the broccoli once in a while. Only one person out of four thought it was good, the rest of us agreed to look for a different recipe.
You can't go wrong with this. It's the good old classic broccoli cheese soup. Just the right texture and flavor. Simple to make as well. We loved it on this rainy day. Thanx!