Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is by far the best creamed spinach recipe that I have ever tasted! My mother got married in early Nov and my brother (a chef) served Bar-B-Qued Filet Mignon, oven roasted red potatoes, this creamed spinach, salad and garlicy cheesy bread - Talk about heaven!! The creamed spinach stole the show and 1/2 the guests left with the recipe! He found the recipe on the internet, it is a copy cat recipe of Boston Market's creamed spinach. (I think it's better).
- 73.94 ml butter (divided) or 73.94 ml margarine (divided)
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml half-and-half cream
- 113.39 g cream cheese
- 29.58 ml minced onions
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 2 (566.99 g) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 59.14 ml water
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt 3 Tbls butter.
- Stir flour and salt into pan until creamed together.
- Slowly stir in cream, then stir in cream cheese, increase heat to medium.
- Constantly whisk until mixture becomes thick and smooth, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic in remaining butter until transparent.
- Add spinach and water to pan, reduce heat to low, cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.
- Stir prepared sauce and Parmesan cheese into pan, stir until completely blended.
We loved this delicious side. My husband commented that this is the best spinach he has ever eaten and I can only agree. I halved the recipe for the two of us and followed it precisely, except for adding the water in step 6; my thawed spinach still had moisture in it that I couldn't completely squeeze out, so I only added an extra tablespoon of water. Thanks for posting, Renee!
I loved it! It's a really great and forgiving recipe. I substituted onion powder for the grated onion and grated parm in a can because I didn't know whether to use that or fresh. Also, I used a 12 oz bag of spinach rather than take a measly 2 oz out. I'm not sure that my opinion really counts considering I took so many liberties with the recipe. But what the heck, I was still fantastic!
One word: DELICIOUS!!!!! Used a little more onion and garlic, for our taste. Also, didn't have 1/2 and 1/2 so I used 1/2 skim and 1/2 heavy cream and 2 12 oz bags of cut leaf spinach. This is absolutely to die for good!!!