Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe today on Google. The photo looked so delicious.....I just had to save and share the recipe. Servings were not noted so I've guess-timated.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly ground or grated)
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese, freshly grated
- 2⁄3 cup fontina, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly grease a glass or ceramic loaf pan.
- Mix together all of the different cheeses. Set cheese mixture aside for later.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the butter and olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted and the oils are hot, add the shallot and garlic to the pan.
- Sweat the shallot and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Do not allow any caramelization, if they start to brown, reduce heat.
- Add the heavy cream and nutmeg to the pan and raise the heat to medium-high.
- Allow mixture to reduce for about 5-6 minutes. While the cream is reducing, place the thawed spinach into a clean dish towel and ring out as much of the water as you can.
- Add the spinach, nutmeg, and 1/2 of cheese mixture to the reduced cream.
- Stir to combine, then taste the creamed spinach. Season with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste.
- Pour the creamed spinach into the greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese mixture evenly over the top of the spinach, then do the same with the panko.
- Bake the gratin at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes until the cheesey top layer is melty and golden.
- Serve hot and enjoy!