Recipe by ~In*Memory*of*Brats~
This is a recipe is soooooo yummy!!! It is traditionally served over toast (S.O.S. is s**t on a shingle, toast being the shingle) but it can be served over biscuits, baked potatoes, rice or whatever you like. I like to use a cast iron skillet.
Top Review by ChefWantABe
I love chipped beef/S.O.S. and this one is very good but a bit on the salting side.I think I will soak the beef in a bit of boiling water after I cut it up to de-salt it some.Not too long of a soak maybe five minutes.I also only had one jar of the Hormel Dried beef so I halved the whole recipe down the middle and the proportions were perfect.Just enough for my hubby and me.Thanks for posting!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart milk (depending how thick you like it)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb dried beef
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat large skillet over Medium heat.
- Add butter and melt till foamy.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in flour and continue stirring until no lumps are left.
- Return to heat and continue stirring about 5 minutes to remove raw flour taste.
- Slowly pour milk in while whisking.
- About a quart will do depending on how thick you like it.
- Continue stirring over heat until desired thickness.
- Add dried beef and heat through, Add pepper and serve HOT over Toast.