Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A traditional Greek Soup
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 2 cups cream, scalded
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 1 lemon, sliced for garnis
- Beat butter in a small bowl. Beat constantly, slowly add flour.
- Combine butter mixture with scalded milk and cream in a soup pot.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until boiling.
- Reduce heat at once.
- Pour in stock and add rice. Simmer 30 minutes, skimming off fat.
- Beat egg yolks in a large bowl until fluffy. Pour in lemon juice a little at a time, while beating.
- Add 2 cups hot stock, a tablespoon at a time, while beating.
- Pour stock mixture into soup. Heat, but do not boil.
- Gartnish with sliced lemon.