- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- sugar, if needed
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Halve tomatoes lengthwise and lay them cut sides down in a jelly-roll pan.
- Brush generously with 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with garlic, oregano, basil, and pepper.
- Roast tomatoes until their edges are charred, about 15 to 20.
- Scrape tomatoes, oil, and herbs from pan into food processor.
- Process until not quite smooth (leaving small chunks and charred black specks).
- In a saucepan cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil until translucent.
- Whisk in roasted tomato puree, broth, and wine.
- Then whisk tomato paste.
- Heat the cream and whisk in to the tomato mixture.
- Taste and add sugar if necessary.
- Stir in optional Parmesan.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and bring soup to a simmer.