Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My own creation made from items available. We think this is the best potato soup you'll ever eat! Easily made as a vegetarian dish!
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes (not seed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced ham, diced (or crisp bacon)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, disolved in water or 2 tablespoons broth
- 1 lime
- In large sauce pan lightly saute onions, potatoes and garlic in olive oil.
- Add broth, celery flakes and fennel seed; bring to boil,cover and simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Mash potatoes slightly with potato masher.
- Squeeze in juice of 1/2 of lime and stir.
- Add cream, ham and cheese and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cornstarch mixture as needed for desired thickness.