Prep 6 mins
Cook 0 mins
I'm not at all fond of cooked mushrooms, so shy away from any kind of mushroom soups, but this one is different, since it doesn't cook them! The recipe was found on the GoneRaw website, but it has been tweaked slightly.
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (or more, if needed for desired consistency)
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white button mushrooms, chopped fine
- In a blender or food processor, blend sunflower seeds with water until a nice creamy smooth mixture is created.
- Add yeast (if using), garlic & lemon salt.
- Blend for until slightly warm, perhaps 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms & pluse just once or twice, to spread them around.
Most unusual! Trust you, Sydney Mike, to come up with a recipe like this one! I used 1/2 cup of lemon juice, 1/2 cup orange juice and 3 cups of water. I'm always uncomfortable when I see "water" listed as an ingredient and want to change it to something tastier; and I knew that orange and lemon juice both taste great with cooked mushrooms. If I were making this again - and I think I will be trying it again as it's so different from other mushroom soups I've eaten that I strongly suspect that really loving this would be an acquired taste - I'm going to include some wine and some thyme. I was really comfortable with the inclusion of sunflower seeds as I use them a lot. Thank you for the culinary adventure that this recipe represented. I love mushrooms and, although this was tasty, at this stage it's not my favourite mushroom recipe. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
I enjoyed trying a totally different take on mushroom soup. This would be great for summer! I halved the water and sunflower seeds, because it would not have fit in my blender otherwise. I used a LOT more nutritional yeast than called for---probably about a cup. I used 3 raw cloves of garlic, and Spike seasoning instead of lemon pepper. I used about a cup of mushrooms, and added a swig of Braggs liquid aminos. The flavor was quite nice. I must admit, though, that after eating a few bites, I did warm it a bit in the microwave. The mushrooms still seemed a lot fresher than in normal cream of mushroom soup, though. Thanks for posting this nutritious recipe. I might make it again when the weather is hotter.