Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a lovely entree and is very easy to prepare. It is adpated from a recipe in the Australian Women's Weekly "Cooking for Couples" cookbook, published in 1982 and still used frequently!
- 125 g mushrooms
- 30 g butter
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 236.59 ml water
- 14.79 ml dry sherry
- 9.85 ml English mustard (mild)
- 59.14 ml cream
- 9.85 ml shallots
- Chop mushrooms roughly.
- Melt butter in pan, add mushrooms.
- Cook covered for 10 mins over low heat.
- Add crumbled stock cube, water, sherry and mustard.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Puree mushrooms and liquid with hand blender.
- Return to saucepan, add cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat gently, stir in shallots.
Really tasty! I used some large portabello mushrooms and all the flavours came together so well. Only change I made was not to blend the soup but instead chopped the mushrooms into about 1cm cubes, I always like soups where the main ingredient stands out a bit. It had both a creamy taste along with a 'meaty' mushroom flavour which I loved.