Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Believe it or not, this is a diabetic-friendly recipe with 300 cal. and 6 grams of fat. Mushrooms and spinach adorn this soup along with chicken breast and a small amount of long-grain rice. The picture of this recipe looks so delicious, I had to post it. Take from the B & G magazine - Diabetes- Eat What You Love!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (12 ounce) cans fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups fresh spinach, packed
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to medium. Add chicken; cook for 12-15 minutes or until no longer pink turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool. When cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull chicken apart into coarse shreds.
- Meanwhile, add onions, mushrooms, carrot and garlic to dutch oven; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice; cook 1 minute more. Add broth, water, 1/2 teaspoons pepper and the nutmeg. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir together one can of the evaporated milk and the flour; stir into mixture in dutch oven. Stir in the remaining can of milk. Cook and stir until bubbly.
- Stir in spinach and the shredded chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with additional black pepper, if desired.