Prep 16 mins
Cook 1 hr
this recipe comes from "samantha's cookbook" of the american girls pastimes series.
- 1 lb carrot, peeled
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- rinse peeled carrots under cold water & have a adult peel the carrots if you haven't done so already & are having a kid help you.
- cut the carrots into 1/2-inch slices.
- put the sliced carrots into a 2-quart saucepan along with the chicken broth.
- cook the carrots & broth over meadium-high heat. when the broth begins to boil, turn the heat down to medium low.
- cover the saucepan. cook the carrots for 20 minutes or until they are soft and break apart when pierced with a fork.
- place a colander in a large bowl pour the broth & carrots through the colander catching the carrots in the colander. save the broth to use in step 11.
- put the drained carrots back into the saucepan. mash them until they are very smooth. set the pan aside.
- in a 3-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. then stir in the flour.
- cook the butter & flour for 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly.
- add the mashed carrots, salt & cayenne pepper. stir to mix them together.
- slowly stir in the broth. turn the heat up to medium high and cook for 10 minutes,stirring often.
- add the half-and-half. heat the soup slowly,stirring constantly. don't let the soup boil.
- ladle the hot soup into bowls. serve with crackers if you wish.