Cream of Carrot and Tomato Soup
- Put the tomatoes in a saucepan and cook uncovered 30 minutes.
- Trim the carrots and scrape them. Cut them in 1/4 inch rounds. Heat half the butter in a heavy saucepan and add the carrots.
- Cook briefly stirring and add salt and pepper to taste, add water.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and add the flour stirring with a wire whisk.
- Add the broth and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Combine the carrots and tomatoes and sauce. Puree. Then cook to boiling and add milk and cream, salt, pepper, tobasco to taste, half the dill.
- Serve the soup hot or cold with a dollop of sour cream.