Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Moosewood Cookbook
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 medium green pepper
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup broccoli floret, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt (more, to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water or 2 1⁄2 cups stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch allspice
- black pepper or white pepper
- 1 dash tamari
- 1 dash thyme (optional, to taste) or 1 dash basil (optional, to taste)
- chopped scallion, for the top
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, whisked in right before serving
- Saute the onions in butter with bay leaf* until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chopped green pepper, chopped broccoli, water or stock, and salt.
- Cook about 10 minutes, covered (until broccoli is tender, but still bright green).
- Puree little by little with milk, in the blender. *(remove bay leaf before pureeing)Make sure it's pureed until absoluteley smooth. (The texture is very important to the success of this soup).
- Whisk in the sour or heavy cream and the seasonings. Adjust the salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Steam te broccoli flowerets until just done (again, tender, but full of color).
- Combine the flowerets with soup in a large double boiler or kettle. Heat gently and serve right away. Whisk in the optional buttermil as you serve. Top with minced scallions.