1/1 Photo of Cream of Barley and Dill Soup
Have lots of dill at the moment as the stores won't sell just one sprig. :-) That sent me looking for new recipes to use up my bounty. I just love barley in soups so this appealed to me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup shallot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 3/4 cups fat free chicken broth or 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 carrot, sliced into thin coins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1Over moderate heat, begin to saute the shallots with oil in a large sauce pan or stockpot. Cook for 5 minutes or so until the shallots are tender and have begun to brown. If the shallots begin to dry, add a tablespoon or so of water.
- 2Add the barley to the pot and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Pour broth and 3 cups of water into the pot. Cover with lid and cook 10-15 minutes until the barley is tender. (Check the package instructions for suggested cooking time.).
- 3If you are adding the carrots, cook in a separate saucepan in water for 5 minutes until tender but firm.
- 4Pour barley and broth into a colander sitting in a larger bowl to collect liquid. Take half the barley and shallots, all of the liquid and 2 tablespoons of sour cream and place in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- 5Transfer the contents of the blender back to the pot. Add whole/unblended barley and shallots (and carrots if using) to the creamed mixture and stir until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Divide soup among serving bowls. Thin remaining tablespoon sour cream with remaining tablespoon water and drizzle over soup. Sprinkle with dill.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Barley and Dill Soup
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.5
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.3 mg
- Sodium 813.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g