Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
There's nothing like a nice hot, creamy, delicious bowl of cream of asparagus soup to celebrate the arrival of spring! Makes a great lunch or dinner.
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- Combine asparagus, broth, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, bay leaf, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Place asparagus mixture in a blender; process until smooth.
- Place flour in pan.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Add puréed asparagus and ground nutmeg; stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon thyme, butter, salt, and lemon rind.
Very good soup, quick and easy to make. I used dried thyme and cut back on the amount of milk by 1/2 cup and omitted the cream - still creamy and delicious!