1/1 Photo of Cream of Asparagus Soup
This soup is wonderful served hot or cold. Half & half or milk may be substituted for the cream if fat content is a concern, although it won't taste quite as good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spear
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 24 ounces low sodium chicken broth (quantity to taste) or 24 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth (quantity to taste) or 24 ounces chicken broth (quantity to taste)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or fresh thyme)
- 8 ounces cream (You may want to use evaporated skim milk to cut more fat)
- salt or salt substitute
- fresh ground white pepper
- 1Soak and rinse asparagus.
- 2Remove top 1 inch of each spear, discard tough lower part, and reserve middle portion of stalks.
- 3In a 3-quart saucepan, over medium heat, sauté onion in butter for 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent.
- 4Add chicken stock, asparagus tips and stems, potato, celery, thyme, and pepper.
- 5Cover and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- 7Remove from heat and let cool.
- 8Remove asparagus tips and set aside.
- 9Place half of the soup at a time in a blender container.
- 10Cover and blend at high speed for 20 to 30 seconds or until very smooth.
- 11Pass through a fine sieve and return blended soup to saucepan.
- 12Add reserved asparagus tips and cream (or half and half, or milk) and heat thoroughly, or refrigerate to be served cold.
- 13Be sure to adjust the seasoning after you add the cream (or half& half, or milk), especially if you plan to serve it cold.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Asparagus Soup
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.0
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.0 mg
- Sodium 99.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 8.8 g