Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a dense delicious flavoursome cake from the Better Homes and Gardens Cake Book. It is quite filling so I don't bother frosting it and cut thin slices.My DH doesn't like cakes much but he loves this cake. Note that it also freezes beautifully.
- 250 g butter (no substitutes)
- 250 g cream cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Bring butter, cheese and eggs to room temperature before you begin.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan and preheat oven to 160C or 325°F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until softened.
- Gradually add sugar 2 TABLESPOONS AT A TIME beating on medium speed about 5 minutes until very light and fluffy.
- Add poppy seeds and vanilla essence.
- Add eggs,one at a time, beating on low to medium speed 1 minute after each addition and scraping bowl frequently.
- Gradually add flour mixture beating on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 1 1/4 hours or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes and then remove from pan and allow to cool completely before serving.
If you want rich, sinful and delicious this is the pound cake to make. It's fabulous and wonderful and you can only eat a little at a time since it's so darn good! Very easy to make, I recommend following the directions as stated because it turns out a beautiful product. This was made for Fall PAC 2008.
Have been looking for a pound cake type poppy seed cake for some time. Most of the recipes seem to have a cake mix as a base and we do not like using those because of all the added preservatives. This is wonderful and keeps very well without freezing. Thank you for submitting.
Very good cake. have been looking for it a long time. thanks LE