Cream Cheese Pastries (Kalitsounia Sitian)
- Dissolve the yeast in the 1/4 cup of lukewarm water, with a tbsp of the sugar and flour and allow to proof for 5-10 minutes until frothy.
- Add the remaining flour and sugar, as well as the oil and knead until you have a smooth dough. Allow to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch the dough down and allow it to rise again.
- Mix the filling ingredients together to form a stiff paste.
- To make the Kalitsounia roll the dough into a thin rectangle, and cut into saucer sized squares. Place a spoonful of the filling in the center of each square, and fold the two opposite sides inwards and do the same with the other two opposite sides.
- Let stand in a warm place to rise until doubled. Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle lightly with sesame seeds and bake in a 350*F oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.