Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
The French may call this a tart, but I call it a spec pizza done in the French tradition. Per the intro, "In Alsace, this tart was traditionally cooked in the baker's oven, so it's important to have an oven that heats to a high temp for rapid, effective cooking." A Riesling or Gewurztraminer was suggested as a wine choice to accompany this dish. As this is my final offering from *French Bistro and Cafe Cooking* by Pierre-Yves Chupin, I say a fond *Au Revoir* to his spec recipes. *Enjoy* !
- 250 g bread dough
- 1 kg cream cheese (may use ricotta)
- 3 1⁄8 cups creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 300 g bacon (diced)
- 4 onions (med-size, chopped)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475F (220C). Roll out dough as thinly as possible & use it to line a lrg oblong cookie sheet (16 x 12 in).
- Prick the dough base w/the tines of a fork to within 1/2-in of the edges & bake blind for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. DO NOT turn off the oven.
- Combine cream cheese (or ricotta if using) w/the creme fraiche, flour, salt & oil to form a thick paste & spread it over the dough.
- Crisp bacon in a lrg frying pan, remove w/a slotted spoon & set aside, reserving 2 tbsp of bacon fat & discarding any excess. Peel & chop onions & brown them in the reserved bacon fat.
- Scatter bacon & onions over the cheese topping. Season w/pepper to taste pref. Return to the oven, cook for 2 min & serve immediately.
- NOTE: Feel free to use a pizza pan if you have 1 equivalent in size (192 sq in).
Great recipe thanks MP! I know this as a Flammiche, and I LOVE it! I had to half the recipe for just the two of us - and I also made a thin crust as we prefer it that way. I used cream cheese - but not as much as specified, as the creme fraiche was creamy enough, and I also used smoked lardons for the bacon. We had this for supper last night with some wine and a fresh salad. Made for photo tag and VERY much enjoyed thanks Twissis! FT :-)
Loved this! made as directed, other than using pre-made pizza bases and omitting the salt - I thought there would be plenty from the bacon, for our taste. Oh, I did also put a tblsp of chilli paste into the creme fraiche mixture, tiny bit of a kick. I found this delicious and will happily make it again, my husband was a little less keen, but I think he thought Pizza and it wasnt what he expected. Great recipe, Twiss, thanks for sharing!
This is delicious!!! I knew I was going to love this tart!! I made a very scaled back recipe, using pre-made pizza dough from our local grocery bakery, cooked it on a stone and just eyeballed the amounts of flour, oil and salt to add to the cream cheese and cream fraiche mixture. I just loved the combination of bacon, onion and the creamy cheese layer, so good!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for "For your Consideration" tag game.