This is a versatile recipe using your favorite herb with cream cheese, sandwiched in a chicken breast half, then breaded and baked for 30 minutes. Presto, quick and delicious dinner! I like oregano; sage or basil are other possibilities. Try 'em all!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (not the monstrous ones, the "halved" ones)
- 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- 3 green onions, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 4 tablespoons fresh sage or 4 tablespoons fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs (like Progresso)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degres F.
- Flatten open chicken breasts; spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese on one half of each breast (resist the temptation to use more-- a little cream cheese goes a looooooong way!).
- Evenly distribute the fresh herbs on top of that and season with salt and pepper.
- "Fold"the chicken breasts back up and press tightly, tucking in cream cheese a bit.
- In a shallow dish, combine the 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper, paprika and flour.
- In another dish, pour the beaten egg mixture.
- In a third dish, combine bread crumbs, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.
- First dip chicken breasts in flour mixture, then beaten egg mixture, then bread crumb mixture.
- Place chicken on a lightly greased baking sheet, drizzle about a tablespoon of melted butter on each breast and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until cooked through and tender.