Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Solid, stick-to-your-rib cookies that hold molds and impressed images beautifully. Modified from House On The Hill. These are wonderful with hot tea or coffee, and my 3 yr old son loves them, even when I forgot the lemon oil.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 lemon, rind of, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional) or 1 teaspoon orange oil (optional)
- Sift four and salt, together. Cream butter and cheese, slowly adding sugar, and mix well. Beat in egg yolk, then the flavoring. Dough will be STICKY!. Chill dough at least 4 hours (overnight is better, though!).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough (on floured surface) to about 1/4" thickness, if using molds. Imprint, cut, and place on cookie sheet.
- If not molding/imprinting cookies, make into smallish balls, squash flat with your palms, and place on cookie sheet. Prick each blob with a fork.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until cookies are JUST turning light brown around the edges. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled completely, they can be stored in airtight containers.
mmmmmmmm i thought these were pretty good. Its almost like a melt in your mouth type of cookie. I made them as an after dinner treat with some coffee & everyone loved em.[=