Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
THIS IS MY ALLTIME FAVOURITE thing you can get in the bakery back home in new zealand, you can't get them here which is such a shame, borrowed a womans weekely recipe book of a friend and have to post it so i don't loose it. i cannot believe no-one has posted them yet
- NOTE: 2 tsp of dry active yeast can be substituted for the compressed yeast. sift dry yeast with flour and sugar, rub in butter, add combined lukewarm milk and water, then proceed as for recipe).
- cream yeast with 1 tsp of the sugar, add lukewarm milk, let stand 10 to 15 minutes until frothy.
- sift flour and remainging sugar into bowl, rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- make well in centre of dry ingredients, add yeast mixture and lukewarm water, mix to a soft dough.
- turn out on to floured surface.
- knead 5 minutes.
- put dough into lightly oiled bowl.
- cover, stand in warm place 1 hour or until dough has doubled in bulk.
- punch dough down in bowl.
- turn out on to floured surface: knead 5 minutes. divide into twelve even portions.
- knead each portion of dough into a round.
- put rounds on well greased oven tray, allowing room for spreading.
- set in warm place 10 minutes or until half doubled in size.
- brush with combined beaten egg yolk and extra water.
- bake in hot oven 10 minutes,reduce heat to moderate, bake further 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- put buns on wire rack.
- when cold, slit open, fill with raspberry jam and mock cream, dust each bun with a litle sifted icing sugar.
- Mock Cream:.
- combine water and sugar.sift over heat to dissolve sugar.bring to boil, remove from heat.
- when completely cold, beat butter and vanilla until white and fluffy, gradually pour in cold syrup, beating constantly.
Followed this recipe to the T!! was amd is the best recipe for cream buns! was a hit with the family :)
I too miss these from back home in Australia. My favorite Tuck Shop treat! Thanx for the memories