Recipe by CJAY
This is my entry for the current contest. I used Bergy's Sourdough Starter #13750, a basic rye bread recipe and added rosemary, dried cranberries, pimientoes, and green onions to get the 5 ingredients needed. It made 2 nice rounds of bread. Prep time does not include rising or cooling times.
Top Review by Susie D
I made adjustments to make 1 loaf and to use my bread machine. The bread had good flavor and was fluffy for a rye bread I thought the recipe needed a bit more oomph to meet my expectations of rye. Next time I will up the caraway seeds & onions. The slight sweetness from the cranberries was a welcome touch. Overall a good experience!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3 cups rye flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dough enhancer
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, patted dry and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 green onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, put 1 1/2 cups warm water (105*-110*). Sprinkle yeast over water and stir until dissolved. Add rye flour, sourdough starter, sugar, butter, caraway seeds, and salt. Beat well.
- Combine 1 cup white flour and soda; stir into rye flour and yeast mixture. Add enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board. Add rosemary, dried cranberries,pimientoes, and green onions to dough and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Punch down, divide in half. Cover and let rise 10 minutes. Shape into two rounds. Place rounds on two greased baking sheets. If desired, lightly sprinkle with cornmeal. Cover with dry towel and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated oven set at 375* for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
- Remove from baking sheets and cool on a rack.