Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I am not a dressing eater. BUT, I made this recipe several years ago (for everyone else), tried it and loved it! It is the only dressing I'll eat - from Southern Living.
- 2 cups buttermilk self-rising white cornmeal mix (I get it at Wal-Mart)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 10 tablespoons butter or 10 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 small green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 lb crawfish tail (frozen, cooked, peeled, thawed)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon red peppers or 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Grease a 9" oven-proof skillet (preferably cast-iron) and heat it in the oven at 450 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients listed above to make the cornbread.
- Pour into hot prepared skillet, and bake at 450 for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350, and lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Crumble the cornbread into a large bowl.
- Add the cooked vegetables, and all remaining ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 1 hr., or until firm and golden brown.
Really delicious LorenLou! Over Thanksgiving, visiting family in Louisiana, I had the best seafood dressing! I couldn't find the recipe I was given, but thought this sounded pretty close. I made two boxes of Jiffy cornbread instead of from scratch. This makes a nice 9x13 pan full. Do make sure to add all the broth and watch out that you don't overcook. I used half shrimp and half crab instead of crawfish. Tasty!