Recipe by winkki
This was originally from the "Moosewood Sundays" cookbook and was an instant hit around here...part coffeecake, part dessert - yummy! I've never had almonds in the house, but can vouch that it's great even without them. I've added in a bit of orange rind to the cranberry mix before too, to give it a nice zing. I have always used a Bundt pan...makes for a very pretty presentation for breakfast, brunch, tea, dessert, or gifts, especially around the winter holidays.
Top Review by Kathy(
Wonderful! I used a bundt pan, but next time would use a tube pan. The cranberries are so pretty on the "bottom" and it would be nicer to serve the cake with that side showing. I also included 1 tsp. fresh orange zest per your suggestion.
- 2 cups cranberries (said fresh, I use frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Coarsely chop cranberries.
- Combine cranberries with brown sugar, almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg; set to the side.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla, sour cream, and eggs; mix thoroughly.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir into egg mixture just until moistened.
- Pour 1/2 of batter into greased Bundt pan or 8" round cake pan.
- Spread 1/2 of cranberry mixture over the top.
- Repeat with remaining batter and cranberries.
- Bake 50-60 min at 350.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar.