Cook1 hr 25 mins
This cranberry dessert is the result of slightly tweaking a great recipe found in The Joy of Cranberries: The Tangy Red Treat by Theresa Millang, & features a great combination of lemon & cranberry! Preparation time does not include time needed to cool & chill.
FOR CRANBERRY FILLING
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 2 cups cold water
FOR BOTTOM CRUST
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut up
FOR LEMON TOPPING
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, then grease or butter an 8 inch baking pan.
- FOR CRANBERRY FILLING ~ In a small saucepan, bring cranberries & water to a boil.
- Redice heat & cook, stirring often, about 25 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Coarsely chop cranberries, then set aside.
- FOR BOTTOM CRUST ~ In a mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar & 3/4 cup flour, then cut in the butter until pea-size lumps are formed.
- Press mixture into prepared 8 inch baking pan & bake about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
- FOR LEMON TOPPING ~ In a small mixing bowl beat eggs & granulated sugar until smooth, then mix in vanilla, lemon juice & zest.
- Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour & beat until combined.
- Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees F.
- Spread cranberry mixture over baked crust, then pour lemon mixture over cranberry layer.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until set, then remove from oven.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Refrigerate, chilling well before cutting into squares. Store in refrigerator.
I like cranberry recipes but this one, I would have preferred to have more lemon flavor than cranberries. For the lemon topping I used only 1/2 cup sugar. I used the lemon zest that was optional. Next time I'll put parchment paper in the pan because it was a hard to take out a good square out of the pan. Thanks Syd :) Made for PRMR tag game
I really enjoyed these. I think I would have liked a little less of the lemon flavor though. I liked that it used dried cranberries -- I've had some in the pantry that I didn't know what to do with! Nice dessert recipe, thanks for sharing! Made for PRMR Tag.
Wonderful recipe -- the book club loved it. I made the bottom crust and cranberry mixture on day 1 and then ran out of time, so finished the rest on day 2. It all worked fine. Used dried cranberries -- which are hard to find in Australia. As an aside -- the non-cranberry lovers could not pick the secret ingredient of cranberries. Thanks for a winner.